Saturday, February 18, 2006

My Favorite Watering Hole.....

_______________________________
Kelly's Bar and Grill
in Downtown Newport, Washington
______________________

"Kelly’s is the oldest operating business in Newport, also the second oldest bar in the State of Washington. Established in 1894, Kelly’s has always been a popular watering hold. They had a bear out back of the bar, and when someone would get a little too drunk, they would throw him in with the bear to sober up, of course the bear was tame, but most people didn’t know that. Kelly’s has always remained open, even through prohibition, where they kept the barrels in the basement. The massive Brunswick Back bar spands 24 full feet and towers nearly 12 feet high. The bar was shipped around the Cape of Good Hope to San Francisco back in the early 1800’s. The massive structure concluded it’s journey to Newport on a three month wagon trip."
An excerpt taken from the Menu

Not the original Cash Register, but it completes the authenticity
of this great old bar.

Photos of the Drunkards with the Bear out back.


When I first rolled into town, that very night, I planned on stopping into Kelly's for a Celebratory Beer, but they were already closed at 10:00 p.m. It seems the sidewalks roll up pretty early here in town, or the party moves over to Oldtown, Idaho.

I had been in Kelly's twice before, once during each trip to Washington, prior to my move. After settling in here, I stopped, bellied up to the bar, and struck up conversation with the lovely Julia. I mentioned that I had just moved to town, and she disagreed. She said she had served me before.... Truth is she had.... IN JUNE!!! almost four months prior to this talk. I couldn't believe that she remembered me. The next day I stopped in, and was served by the vivacious Amy, who also remembered serving me when I was here in August.

So, I just thought I would share this story, because it adds to the reasons why I love this little town.

No comments: